A School Council is a legally formed body that is given powers to set the key directions of a school and is the major governing body of the school.
What is a School Council?
- Plays an important role in school accountability and improvement processes.
- Endorses the key school planning, evaluation and reporting documents.
Objectives of School Council...
- Assists in the efficient governance of the school.
- Ensures students’ best interests are primary.
- Enhances the educational opportunities for students.
- Ensures compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
The function of School Council is to...
- Establish the broad direction and vision of the school within the school’s community.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan.
- Develop, review and monitor the Student Engagement Policy and the School Dress Code.
- Approve the annual budget and monitor expenditure.
- Maintain school grounds and facilities.
- Enter into contracts (e.g. cleaning, construction work).
- Report annually to the school community and to the Department of Education & Training (DET).
- Generally stimulate interest in the school in the wider community.
School Council Membership
The Council is constituted to have up to 15 members drawn from the following categories:
- Department of Education & Training Employee Members
- Parent Members
- Community Members
Department of Education & Training Employee Members
Craig Sutherland (College Principal) - Term Ongoing
Nic Fisher - Term expires March 2019
Lyn Neville - Term expires March 2019
Lesley Falk - Term expires March 2020
Sarah Walker - Term expires March 2020
John McKenzie (President) - Term expires March 2019
Julie Chester - Term expires March 2019
Leah Landy - Term expires March 2020
Phil Loukes - Term expires March 2019
Jude Lunny - Term expires March 2019
Ray Barling - Term expires March 2020